Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Last Sept. we got a beagle mix, 3 years old from our local SPCA. He bonded with our 12 year old immediately, we brought him home, he jumped on our loveseat and was right at home.

Since then, he has had accidents in the home. In our bedroom, both livingrooms, kitchen, even in my sons room.

We simply kept a close eye on him. He will also open cupboard doors, hence elastics on kitchen cabinets.

He actually got into a cabinet that I'm shocked he got into. We had a friend who gave us a crate but we didn't really want to use it. After that incident we knew that there was no stopping him so we decided to crate him.

He hates it. He wines and barks almost all night long and he's been in for a month now. Any bed, blanket, beach towel whatever, he shreds. We have given him a bone, a bone with peanut butter/rice krispies, nothing seems to settle him.

I actually called a trainer who suggested that we get a leash and invite him onto the couch, etc so he knows he is not he boss of the house. She did say getting him used to being in the crate would take a long time.

Today, he has a sore paw. The only thing I can think of is that he's hurt himself while scratching at night. Really don't know what to do. I feel bad but I don't want to wake up to messes every morning and every time I come home during the day. He's not crated much during the day, a couple hrs at the most and some days not at all.

If anyone has any suggestions we are certainly willing to try just about anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi. Sounds like Charlie could have a few things going on. Is he getting enough exercise and attention? Beags, especially younger ones, have a lot of energy and curiosity. If they aren't exercised and entertained, they often get into trouble. Has he been to a training class? Those are a great way to bond with you dog and learn some training tips, and also to socialize them with other dogs. I notice that my two have been acting up more now that we have been trapped in a lot with the freezing temps. I take them to the pet store often and try to play games that will stimulate their minds.

As for the pee accidents....has he been tested for an infection? Try to limit his access to your house when you are busy so he can't wander off and pee. Be sure to clean the accidents with special cleaner for pet urine or he will keep going back. Also, beagles aren't often good about telling us when they have to go, you have to watch for the subtle signs. Some owners use a bell hanging by the door, they teach the dog to jingle it when they have to go.

My beagles are gated in the kitchen and hallway when we go out. They are both shelter rescues and hate being in a crate, so the gate works well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip about the special pet cleaner. I'll definitely be picking that up. He is good about letting us know when he has to go out, he can do that, it's usually when we're not home. I can't even leave him for 20 mins. For example, we did leave him out of the crate last night, he had a sore paw which I believe he got from clawing at his cage all night. So we left him out in the kitchen on his bed. My husband is up at 5am, let's him out. We then give him freedom of the kitchen & living room (he usually sleeps on our loveseat), but by 7am when we get up he's peed.

He has not been as active because of the weather for sure however, he started this behavior as soon as we brought him home. At that time he was going for 4 long walks a day and being played with as well. He's so adorable, we give him lots of attention, I keep saying he's lucky he's so cute.

Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would definitely limit his house access when not supervised. We keep our girls gated in the bedroom with us at night so they don't wander.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had thought about putting the crate in with us as well at night but I am almost positive that he would wine even at that, could try it. He seems to like being covered up. Tonight I think we'll try tucking him in and see if that helps the little guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts