Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle Fiona has been suffering from recurrent ear infections mostly caused by yeast. I was cleaning her ears last Monday because I noticed she's started to have another ear infection coming up. I used the medicine that the vet gave me for her last ear infection. I treated it for 3 days but it just got worse so I had to bring her to the vet.

I was glad I brought Fiona to the vet because the infection was caused by a bacteria and the medicine I was using was for a previous yeast infection that she had. The vet prescribed antibacterial ear drops and an oral antibiotic.

I just realized that at the first sign of an ear infection, I should have brought Fiona to the vet because ear infections especially of the middle and inner part of the ear are risky and can lead to serious complications.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poor Fiona =( Ear infections are never easy....

I use an ear wash that I made using a formulation given by my vet: 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% vinegar. I make it every time I need to wash my dog's ears. works well. and you can also store it for a month in the fridge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A beagle's long and floppy ears impede air flow within the inner ear thereby trapping in moisture which is a very good breeding ground for ear infections. It's good to clean the ears regularly for any foreign particles and any moisture should be wiped dry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want to use natural treatment, try probiotic chews for dogs. The vet gave us IAMS prescription probiotic chews however there are many non-prescription probiotics available online.

·
Registered
31 Posts
try yogurt too. you can give it to him daily. Many dog owners have noticed lesser ear infections caused by yeast when they give yogurt to their pets in addition to their normal feed ration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also got a Miniature Pinscher who howls when her ears bothers her and she scratches it on the floor. But this does not happen often, i think it's just a fly or an ant that got lost =D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agreed on the probiotics. This is the best way to keep yeast away. Be sure to give regularly and not at the same time as an antibiotic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm learning so much from you folks. I'm interested with the yogurt and other probiotics. Much safer that way than having to put on antibiotics immediately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for this useful reminder that we should never assume that we know what is wrong just because it looks like something we have seen before. If the symptoms show no sign of clearing up it is important to see the vet quickly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My beagle, Diamond, is just going through the same thing. I am doing two rinses with an alchol based ear cleaner and one bacterial ear drop session every day for two weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts