Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle Fiona has been suffering from recurrent ear infections mostly caused by yeast. I was cleaning her ears last Monday because I noticed she's started to have another ear infection coming up. I used the medicine that the vet gave me for her last ear infection. I treated it for 3 days but it just got worse so I had to bring her to the vet.

I was glad I brought Fiona to the vet because the infection was caused by a bacteria and the medicine I was using was for a previous yeast infection that she had. The vet prescribed antibacterial ear drops and an oral antibiotic.

I just realized that at the first sign of an ear infection, I should have brought Fiona to the vet because ear infections especially of the middle and inner part of the ear are risky and can lead to serious complications.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poor Fiona =( Ear infections are never easy....

I use an ear wash that I made using a formulation given by my vet: 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% vinegar. I make it every time I need to wash my dog's ears. works well. and you can also store it for a month in the fridge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A beagle's long and floppy ears impede air flow within the inner ear thereby trapping in moisture which is a very good breeding ground for ear infections. It's good to clean the ears regularly for any foreign particles and any moisture should be wiped dry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for this useful reminder that we should never assume that we know what is wrong just because it looks like something we have seen before. If the symptoms show no sign of clearing up it is important to see the vet quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts