Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kicky76 ,

A little more general information will help.

Are all shots UTD , and , are there any health issues?

Is he fed twice a day? What dogfood?

What is his day like and are there any walks?

How long have you had him?

General advice: Bark collars do not work.....The dog figures out fairly quickly what bark pattern will not activate "Bark Collar" .

Does you Beag know nay of the easy obedience training commands , for example. Sit , down and stay?

What type of leash and collar do you use for walks.

Does your Beag sleep in a crate at night?

Is he house broken ?

Last but not least......Do you have time for some regular training walks?

BTW....Welcome to Beagles Unlimited. I like the picture , you have a beautiful Beagle.

I know I asked a lot of questions , but , it will help me get an idea of how to help you....

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kicky76 ,
The walks by the river just sound great and from your description you have a great pair of Beagle kids.

Has Oscar barked this much from the very start or did it build up over time?

My thoughts on "Barking":

Dogs bark for a reason , for example: Dog is outside and barks at door to get in....When you let dog inside you have reinforced that behavior. This trains the dog that barking to get inside works. It is really that simple.

Now the fun part. Since this has gone on for a while you will need to do a little discovery work and try to pick out the triggers for some of the barking and address them one at a time. You can do this , just go slow.

Note: anti-bark collars do not work , because , the dog soon figures out that changing the bark pattern avoids the correction. In many cases these collars can make the problem worse. IMO

So , to the fix. Below is a link to a trainer that has many free videos that are very helpful. She uses a clicker for many training issues. Give the video a look and let me know what you think.
This is nothing more than distract , cue word , praise&treat , repeat , repeat , repeat. Then break , play, praise and then start over. Oscar will learn that this is more fun and rewarding than barking.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g

Hope this helps.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
326 Posts
Our trainer suggested using white distilled vinegar. Put some in a small spray bottle and carry it around with you. Then whenever he barks, spray him in the face. It stings for a few seconds, but is not harmful. I've only been using the vinegar method for a few days now, so not sure if it's helping yet. View attachment 654
Hi Tales from the Doghouse ,

Would you mind saying what Dexter's days are like? Does he bark inside? What kind of obedience training class?

======================================================

Now I know you did not ask for suggestions , however , I would like to make a couple of comments that are not critical in any way , just my thoughts.

First , any type of startle correction , a can of coins , loud noise , vinegar spray will hurt your relationship with your dog , and , it is possible it could make things worse. As you said , the vinegar stings your dog's eyes , and your dog knows this is coming from you.

The problem here is that your dog is not given any instruction as to preferred response to barking. Your dog could end up barking at you out of frustration for being sprayed and stinging eyes. This would be a new problem to solve.

Remember a beagle is a hunting dog and the bark/bay when going outside is the correct response for a Beagle opening on a new scent trail. That is in his genes and what he was born to do. Training that you can work on at home and on walks will help but may not eliminate your problem with prey drive barking.

Don't want to be too long winded here. I am not a trainer , however , I do train my hounds and would be happy to offer suggestions for your consideration to help with barking if you are interested.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
326 Posts
Tales from the Doghouse ,

I really enjoyed reading your post , and , could not help getting the feeling that I should keep my mouth closed because that first paragraph describes a loving environment that I would wish every pet could have. Made my day...............

The training class was a very good idea and I'm glad you found a good trainer that you like and is available to answer questions from time to time.

My guess is that when you let your dogs out it is into a fenced area. The howl/bark from Dexter when he goes outside with Tonka is the same as the rush a child would get stepping onto a new playground everyday that is full of sight , sound and scents that are the absolute high point in a hunting dogs life.
This is a fact of life with hunting breeds , however , this can be buffered with training and the inside barking can for sure be corrected to an acceptable level.

There are several way to train/correct a barking problem and one of the best examples of this is the Kikopup series of video shorts on youtube by Emily Larlham. Many trainers put barking on cue and then train a quiet command , all done with positive reward based training which is what I use most with my rescue dogs.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g

Teaching Woof/Shush: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/excessive-barking

A good resource: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1929242514

Training for attention , eye contact : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMGJBxRtBw

Great resource , Emily Larlham , Kikopup : http://clicktreat.blogspot.com

Keep in mind that your dogs will be best served using mental stimulation and general play/exercise on a regular basis together with individual short training sessions that can be done inside or out weather permitting.

Example of some inside fun games to play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJxG--4t3SU&feature=player_embedded

A little obedience work on a regular basis to keep your dogs receptive to new training. I would take what you have learned from your training class and do a refresh of basic commands with both dogs. Then , start training "Quiet" on an individual basis with both dogs.

Keep things fun with short sessions and lots of small treats.

I could talk for several days , however , I think you will find enough information here to serve your needs well. Pay close attention to the technique and timing of rewards in Kikopup vids. Let me know what you think............

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
326 Posts
Tales from the Doghouse ,

I did not see the videos until today , and all I can say is WOW.....................You have two very special and Beautiful furkids.
You are very adept at training and correct about Dexter being smart. My guess is that you will have no trouble correcting any bark problem you wish to address. I have never tried to control any barking mostly because I have hunting dogs that live outside during daytime and inside an enclosed heated garage for winter. I can tell you which dog is baying by the sound/pitch of the bark/bay. This is music to the ears of an old houndsman. Your posts to this forum are greatly appreciated.

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.