Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 15-year-old beagle is in excellent health, but two years ago she began to suffer from major separation anxiety. We were used to leaving her unattended when we went to work and also when we had to be out at night and during the weekends. She destroyed several doors before we realized there was a problem. In July we moved from a house to a condo and our work routine changed considerably. We knew the dog would need to adjust. We put the dog on Clomicalm which helped a little and we were relying heavily on day care. Now that we have settled into our Condo, she is calmer but she still does not want us out of her sight for a second. We have hired a trainer and all of her behavior is better with the exception of not barking when we leave her. We have to crate her because otherwise she will destroy the condo. We are in danger of being evicted because of the barking. Having been a prisoner to the dog for more than four months, we really are at our wits end. I'm not sure she will ever be able to control the non-stop barking. I would like to find her a home with other dogs where she won't be left alone so she will not have panic attacks. Apparently a dog of her age is considered ancient, so her options are few. We feel that she will be a lively companion for several more years. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So sorry to hear that you and your beag are stressed. I am thinking that maybe her hearing and/or sight is going and she gets unsettled when she is alone. Is she still on the Clomicalm? You can also try a DAP diffuser. It plugs into an outlet and lets off a pheromone that calms dogs. You can get them at pet stores or on Amazon. Do you leave a radio or TV on for her?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the suggestions. Her hearing and eyesight are very good, maybe too good. She is on clomicalm which seems to have helped a little. We have tried leaving the tv on but it seems to have effect. I haven't tried the plug-in stuff but I could. thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So sorry to hear about the anxiety and stress your senior dog is going through. Does he getting enough exercise and feeling settled in your new home? How many hours he is left alone?
My close friend's 12 year old boxer Copper also had the same anxiety problem when then moved in an apartment and become bit aggressive and destructive for the first time in his 7 years with them. A vet visit helped diagnose he's developing joint problems so his regular heated bed is not enough, they got this kind of orthopedic bed:
http://www.petstreetmall.com/Orthopedic-Heated-Dog-Bed/533/694/
It really helped him settle down and feel more comfortable which eventually less and less destructive. You might need to understand more what he is going through for he might hearing or feeling something that makes him very uncomfortable resulting to behavior change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some dogs are like humans, they seek attention all the time. I think she is getting old and she needs all the attention she can get. You just have to tolerate her

·
Registered
10 Posts
15 year old? wow that is some age.

he is old, maybe thats why. Dogs are emotional beings and tend to be affectionate at some time.

At this stage in his life I can understand why.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts