Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a few rabbits to train my dogs with. I'm in a beagle club with starting pens, and I'd love to get my pups running rabbits in them. Anybody ever done it or have any suggestions at all? thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
i used a domestic rabbit that looked like a cottontail just a little different color. i used training rabbit scent and rubbed it all over the rabbit. i had already been in the woods numerous time and have done some tracking with the rabbit scent. in a fenced in back yard i let the rabbit out of the cage. it took a few seconds but then the rabbit ran. my beagle who is now 18 weeks old chased the rabbit. in the middle of the chase she opened up. she caught the rabbit after she tired it out. the next day i went out to a an area that has some brush piles and draws. the ground was snow covered. i placed the rabbit in this small draw and the rabbit found a place to hide. my took by beagle near the start of the track. she picked up the scent and quickly found the rabbit. she gave the rabbit a nuge and the rabbit was off running. she opened up right away and chased that rabbit thru the thick stuff and out through an open field to another draw 150 yrds away. i was able to get the rabbit back to its cage safe and sound. she then hit the draws trying to find another rabbit and was hitting it pretty hard for a puppy. i am looking for a starting pen and today she is going on a hunt with experienced dogs one of which is her mother. this is my first beagle and i am not an experienced trainer but this seems to be working. the dog is also gun broke. she will stand with me while i shoot clays with a 12 ga. i think i am on the right track. i am really happy that she opened up right away. i hope this helps. i would not use domestic rabbits very long because i don't what her to get used to domestic rabbits. i want her to track wild rabbits. i only used this to put some what of a picture of what she is tracking. i think i am done with domestic rabbits. i am trying to catch the real thing and i am looking for a starting pen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used 2 pet rabbits (bait & chew ) to train my pup in the back yard . I recommend it . under the boat and thru the flower garden it is exciting for the dog and the most fun memories you will ever have . Oh and great for keeping the grass low in the backyard .The kind of rabbit was not a consideration .I love the way my dog turned out .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts